Featuring as a single-chip 320 segment LCD controller and driver with 6 channel PWM generator, the PCF8536 IC is compatible with most microcontrollers and communicates via the two-line bidirectional I²C-bus (PCF8536AT) or a three line unidirectional SPI-bus (PCF8536BT). It is a peripheral device which interfaces to almost any Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) with low multiplex LCD containing up to eight backplanes, up to 44 segments, and up to 320 elements. Communication overheads are minimized using a display RAM with auto-incremented addressing.
- 6 channel PWM generator for backlight LED illumination
- Wide range for digital power supply: from 1.8 V to 5.5 V
- Wide LCD supply range: from 2.5 V for low threshold LCDs and up to 9.0 V for high threshold twisted nematic LCDs
- Selectable display bias configuration
- Low power consumption
- Selectable backplane drive configuration: 4, 6, or 8 backplane multiplexing
- Manufactured in silicon gate CMOS process