Designed to drive dot matrix graphic displays at multiplex rates of 1:8, 1:16, 1:24 or 1:32, The PCF8578 is a low power CMOS LCD row and column driver which can function as a stand-alone LCD controller and driver for use in small systems. the device has 40 outputs, of which 24 are programmable and configurable for the following ratios of rows/columns: 32/8, 24/16. 16/24 or 8/32.
The PCF8578 is compatible with most microcontrollers and communicates via a two-line bidirectional bus (I²C-bus). Communication overhead is minimized by a display RAM with auto-incremented addressing and display bank switching.
- Single chip LCD controller and driver
- Externally selectable bias configuration, 5 or 6 levels
- 1280-bit RAM for display data storage and scratch pad
- Provides display synchronization for PCF8579
- Compatible with most microcontrollers
- Automotive information systems
- Telecommunication systems
- Point-of-sale terminals
- Industrial computer terminals