The PCA9615 IC is a 2-channel multipoint fast-mode plus differential I2C-bus buffer with hot-swap logic that consist of two single-ended to differential driver channels for the SCL (serial clock) and SDA (serial data). It is a fast-mode plus (Fm+) SMBus/I2C-bus buffer that extends the normal single-ended SMBus/I2C-bus through electrically noisy environments using a differential SMBus/I2C-bus protocol layer.
The use of differential transmission lines between identical dI2C bus buffers removes electrical noise and common-mode offsets that are present when signal lines must pass between different voltage domains, are bundled with hostile signals, or run adjacent to electrical noise sources, such as high energy power supplies and electric motors.
This device is a bridge between the normal 2-wire single ended wired-OR SMBus/I2C and the 4-wire dI2C-bus.
- 2 channel dI²C (differential I²C-bus) to Fm+ single-ended buffer operating up to 1 MHz with 30 mA SDA/SCL drive capability
- Hot swap (allows insertion or removal of modules or card without disruption to bus data)
- New dI²C-bus buffers offer improved resistance to system noise and ground offset up to 1⁄2 of supply voltage
- EN signal (PCA9615 input) controls PCA9615 hot swap sequence
- Bus idle detect (PCA9615 internal function) waits for a bus idle condition before connection is made
- Transmission of I²C-bus between equipment cabinets
- Commercial lighting and industrial heating/cooling control
- Any application that requires long I²C-bus runs in electrically noisy environments
- Monitor remote temperature/leak detectors in harsh environment
- Control of power supplies in high noise environment